Saturday, October 28, 2006

what's in a name?

Names are important aren't they? - You've only got to talk to teachers and watch their faces when you mention certain names- (for me it's Daniel - angelic looking but had the ability to destroy in a matter of seconds any thoughts or plans to teach him anything...)
So I thought I'd better explain where the name 'Third Space' comes from - hopefully no one out there is feeling queasy at the mention of it because it has triggered some hideous bad memory (doc: "dear, dear this means we'll have to very painfully and very slowly remove your third space.")
Like all the best names, it's stolen - from michael frost - who has written a book called "exiles - living missionally in a post christian culture." (when I've upped my blogging skills I'll be able to link you to his book but that's a bit beyond me at the moment) He suggests that christians need to get out of their churches, and out of their homes into 'third places'- places where people meet, relax, relate - the pub, cafe, gym etc and this seems exactly what we're trying to do with our group.
So there you have it - Third Space - hope you like it - at least it's not Daniel or Shane or Listeria...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Testing,testing 1,2,3.

Anonymous said...

Would you be so kind as to explain your problems with some of the names mentioned...especially Listeria. I had a very generous aunt called Listeria and I intend to name my as yet unborn child after her. I find your prejudice unexpected and somewhat shocking. Otherwise I am enjoying Third Space.Gouty of Hertford Heath.