Thursday, November 23, 2006

the whole truth and nothing but the truth

So how did the discussion on 'truth' go?
Chatting recently to Zoe, she passed a comment about the fact that there could be no 'absolute truths' - now I wouldn't have said we were that far apart on matters of belief, but at that moment I realised I was just a post -modernist wearing the equivalent of a funny moustache and glasses to disguise my modernity shaped view of life (and death) .....I keep trying, but those annoying little absolutes keep sneaking through. On the other hand, the post-modernists could just be absolutely wrong on the matter of truth. And just what was Jesus getting at when He described himself as 'the truth' ?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would just like to add that I do not believe there are no absolute truths, just very few. Also, no truth = no right or wrong, I win either way! hahaha xx

Anonymous said...

No absolute truth=no God. There is no absolute truth (excepting the truth that there is no absolute truth) is a self defeating and contradictory statement. The question might not be whether there is an absolute truth but rather whether we can know (in any sort of absolute way) what that truth is.There may be absolute truth, it's just that we cannot access it except in a provisional and relative way...ie through faith. God is absolute and my faith is that he has revealed himself in Jesus (absolutely)and my path of faith is to live out those unconditional and absolute demands in my life (which is confused and relative and temporal).If there is no absolute at all then in the words of Dostoevsky "all is permitted". Or "where there is no better there is no best". But a neglected Pschology student would be swimming in a sea of Post-Modern relativity.