Thursday, November 02, 2006

We talked last night in the pub about prayer. We had a good time I think. Since I'm struggling to write anything wise or profound, here's a little bit from our favourite monk Abbot Christopher Jamieson from 'The Monastery.'

"I have never found prayer easy, but what gets easier is accepting the fact. So I worry less about technique and more about my fundamental, heartfelt attitude to God while I am praying. In simple faith, I offer myself and my community into the hands of God, with no striving after effect and without worrying too much about the distractions that inevitably come." While time is not the measure of quality in prayer, without giving the time there is ultimately no prayer. Now you will rightly say that a busy parent can pray while helping the children or walking the dog; true, but if that is the only kind of prayer , then I question whether that may not gradually become personal reflection time rather than prayer."

No comments: