Sunday, November 12, 2006

Faith & Offence.

People of faith are offended by very different things! Richard Dawkins gives offence to many Christians, I can't say he bothers me. It seems to me that his efforts at mocking Christianity are the equivalent of trying to flatten Ben Nevis by throwing stones at it! As a Christian I'm more offended by the Fundamentalist Christian Right. I'm offended that they are global warming deniers, claim that anyone concerned for the environment is a pagan, are warmongers instead of peacemakers, happy for the very rich to get tax cuts at the expense of the poor, that Justice is explained away as charity, Israel is in the right whatever it does, the war in Iraq is OK, that Christians with a different point of view are vilified, and that they have nothing to say about corruption in big business, the arms trade, trade justice, debt relief, torture, rendition, and imprisonment without trial.

No comments: