Monday, January 29, 2007

men and church

Last night we held 'Liquid Church' at HT. Our theme was 'Spiritual Detox' It was an opportunity for people to reflect, meditate, pray and participate in a variety of different ways. No start, no end , no singing, no preach. It was a good evening and great to meet new people who may not have easily come to traditional church.
But something is bothering me. Talking to G, and just getting his take on the evening, he commented how few men were there. And he was right. And the men who were there, may have been there more as a support for their other halves than because they had chosen to be there in their own right. I'm wondering why that was the case.
Was the theme too 'feminine'? Or is it the format? Despite our best efforts, is it still too touchy feely?
It's the 3rd Liquid Worship we've done and the numbers are steadily growing, but overall the women vastly out number the men. Have men already made their mind up that this won't be for them? Will this approach always appeal more to women than men, or is it that men just can't be bothered to participate, contribute or even just give it a go? Trouble is, we're in a bit of a catch 22 - how do we break out of this when we struggle to get men to help put the programme together? I realise I'm probably guilty of type casting but it's frustrating me plus I'm also trying to provoke all you men out there to comment.
Oh, and ironically - when's the next 'Liquid Worship'? - Mothering Sunday that's when - you chaps will all be flocking to that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sunday night- top gear

Anonymous said...

You've got male...

When you are concerned about men not coming to liquid worship -

which men did you have in mind ?!

men who already go to church ?
men who are staying at home looking after the children whilst their other half goes for a bit of peace , quiet and refreshment ( last phrase probably reflecting this man's view of liquid worship ) ?
men who dont go to church ( big step , this - I came with my charges last time and felt too initmidated in my own church to walk to the stations at the front - they were in the spotlight - in front of everyone - in the end I got to them through the side door - what would someone who hadnt ever been feel?)

In fact the best of the evening from my point of view ( not necessarily as man - but for this man's point of view ) was chatting to my good male friend about, ironically, this very issue of men in church.

Second best thing- good music and images

Five fruit a day, healthy resolutions , cleansing perfumed hand wash, fragrent oils to represent prayers up to heaven - mmmmmm not too much feminine there , then .

I'm not sure men have made a decision about Liquid Worship - I think its more " ok with me if you want to go " - but I'd rather be in a pub having a good discussion in community - liquid worship is a bit solo for me.

I can see that it is missional for those that need space, are exploring , want to come and go with no chance of being collared , without the patriarchal baggage that "normal" Sunday church brings - and there in may lie the answer as to who Liquid Worship resonates with. Keep doing a great job as it's obviously got an audience- but whether the current format of Liquid Worship can attract men .......I'm not sure, and I think you'd need to know which men you were after.( so to speak!)

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.